Saturday, February 1, 2014

Welcome to Glitter Heart Design & a Peek at some new Cards

A first post on a brand new blog.  It's like taking out a fresh piece of white paper and writing in the blackest of black ink, with an antique fountain pen, the nib scritching and scratching away.  Love it.

Glitter Heart Design... and what might this be? Well, it's a new blog dedicated to handmade cards and papercrafting.  Some people may know that I run my own handmade soap company, http://www.iamhandmade.com and know that I simply adore making soap, love fragrances, colour and glitter.  Because my ethos is everything handmade, I started to get interested in papercrafting because I make all my own packaging for my soaps.  I use a LOT of card doing this and, well those who are papercrafters will understand that once you start buying a lot of card, it's a slippery slope into cutters and scorers and glue and inks and stamps and ..... glitter! My glitter of glitter is nothing new, I am a magpie at heart .. a glitter magpie if you will... I am attracted to great scents, fun colours and anything shiny and new.  Hence glitter heart, because, at heart, I'm a glitter girl!

And so Glitter Heart Designs was born.  This will be my brand for card making and other papercrafting.  And to start us off on what I hope will become a happy and successful blog, here are some images from very recently made Valentine's cards.



The backgrounds for these cards are both made with the Falling Hearts Stencil from Simon Says Stamp and Wendy Vecchi Embossing Paste.  Once I'd removed the stencil, I sprinkled some Martha Stewart Glitter on top (red for the top card and pink for the second).  Leaving the backgrounds to dry, I then die cut the cute little birds from the Science in Love stamp set from Lawn Fawn and coloured them with Copic markers.  The sentiment was from the same set which I stamped with Versamark ink and embossed on both banners.  The top card used red card from Stampin Up and the second was a piece of white Neenah Solar White cardstock coloured with a choice of Copic Markers (pinks and purples) which I think gave a fab effect ... love the final colour.  The sentiments were then both embossed with Ranger Embossing Powder, the superfine detail one.  I then put the card together, adding the background to the front of the card using foam tape, then gluing the feet of the birds to the banner so that it was flush but then adding foam tape to the banner and the birds heads so it would all sit at the same height.  And that was that!

It was the first time I'd used embossing paste or my stencils so I was pretty happy it worked out.  I love the glitter on them but the pink didn't seem to hold as well as the red for some reason.  Oh I used some Glossy Accents on the birds glasses... I love the shine it gives (glitter and shine, oh boy!).

I hope you like the first look at my cards... I'm pretty much starting out on this and learning as I go (as I have done with soaping) and I hope I can achieve the designs of some of the card markers I watch on You Tube all the time.

Hope you like, would love to hear back from you!

Best

Celine

3 comments:

  1. Very sweet Celine! I've been into crafts (more the traditional ones like cross stitch, embroidery, crochet etc) as long as I can remember, but have also recently discovered paper crafts! And like you I'm learning heaps. I wish you every success with your new endeavour. Gail (Brisbane, Australia).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Gail! I've also knit and done crochet since forever ... in fact I use to knit professionally for a time until I really suffered from hand and arm pain and had to stop. My Mum was a painter and writer and I think I'm taking after her more and more as I get older. Hope you show pics of your work too!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your new blog!
    I have a fondness for shiny things too, and I love how you used glitter here. Beautiful! Thank you for sharing your work with us for the Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge. ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete